30. July 2018 at 6:38 #4223
Electric bill scam
How does it work?
You get a call. The caller claims that you did not pay your electricity bill and threatens to shut off the power immediately, if you do not pay the same day.
The only way to pay seems to be via prepaid money card.
He urges you to call back and to pay quickly.
As soon as they get the money they disappear and there is no way to reach them.
What can you do, if you get such a call?
- The best way to react is to hang up.
- Never act immediately with payments
- If you are not sure, if its in fact your electricity company, look at their web page and search for the phone number of their customer service department
- They do not call you, they send you a letter, if you have outstanding payments
If you have been scammed by them, contact your local police department
Be careful, they may have your personal details like your name or your address!!! That does not mean that it is your electricity company!17. September 2018 at 11:30 #4337
What is catfishing?
- In the modern language „catfishing“ describes a person who pose as someone else. Either as a real other person or a fake person.
- Profiles on social media sites are faked by the scammer; also fake names, fotos and contacts are given.
- The aim is to spark up online relationships
- A reason can be to have an adventure in the cyberworld but to protect his/her own identity. Or if he/she is married, to protect them from the consequences to have online dates. Another reason is to steal the identity or the money of other persons.
Whatever the reasons may be, be careful if you have never met the person you are chatting with.
- Why it is never possible to meet in person?
- Why does he/she refuse to videochat?
- Why it is too good to be true?
The consequences can be very painful, so take care!24. September 2018 at 9:31 #4343
You are thinking that you have found the love of your life and looking forward to the next Valentine’s Day. The feelings drive sometimes again the infamous roller coaster…
But STOP!!! There is just one problem: The person you fell in love with is an online acquaintance and you’ve never met in person.
A data analysis across all the dating sites showed that 10% of all new profiles are flagged as fake!
Too much damage has already been done by catfishers.
How to find out if the person is real or not?
- Ask this person to Videochat. If he/she makes every time other excuses, its a warning sign.
- You have googled this person and there is absolutely nothing on the Internet about him/her, another suspicious sign.
- Check public records
- If you have a photo from this person, do a reverse image Google search
- Have a look at the person’s contacts on its social media sites
- Do you get declarations of love very early? Be careful!
- If he/she asks you for money, how difficult its situation may be, break off the contact!!!
How to protect yourself?
Don’t give out personal information to nobody you don’t know personally.
Tempting as it may be, don’t tell them very personal things.
Learn from the experiences of others instead of make bad experiences by yourself!26. December 2018 at 8:23 #4388
Officials warn of a new scam tactic – The firefighter charity scam
What comes in your mind when you think about firefighters?
They are heroes that put their lives on the line to protect the live and the property of other people.
In the top 10 of Kids’ dream Jobs you will find the following state: “I want to become a firefighter!“
At the latest who experienced the first fire, knows what a great job firefighters do and what it means to feel secure in danger because of their commitment.
It is hard to believe but fraudsters take advantage of just this fact!
How does the firefighter charity scam works?
Fraudsters call people to request donations for firefighters and those family members, who are left behind when one of them dies in the line of duty. They appeal to donors’ emotions and appreciation for the hard work of these courageous humans.
The real purpose of their call is:
- Fishing for personal information like name, address, credit card number, bank account…
- To pull your money out of the pocket
- To fool you using similar names of popular fund-raising organizations
If you want to donate money to your local fire departments, call them to get more information!
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.